Welcome

There is Nothing to Fear, but Fear itself!

Monday 18 April 2011

Little Black Book of Stories Reveiw



I wanted to write this review about one of my favorite books for a while, so while I'm writing my new vampire story, I'm posting this. The name of the book is "Little Black Book of Stories" written by A.S. Byatt, kinda intriguing name isn't it? I really liked it. it's not horror but has elements of horror woven into the lines of its stories, I'd rather call it dark fantasy or dark fiction. Some passages are truelly good and ... inspiring!
My favorite one was "A Stone Woman" in which many interesting themes are explored, but I won't spoil it for you; go read for yourselves :)
The book generally recieved positive reviews from critiques too, here are some of them:



  • "In this wintry, supremely elegant collection, Byatt (Possession) peels back the surface of everyday life--and what she reveals may disturb your sleep." - Jennifer Reese, Entertainment Weekly







  • "Little Black Book of Stories is tough and good, stony in all the best ways, vitally not nice. It is her finest collection yet." - Ali Smith, The Guardian





  • "These tales, like those in Joyce's Dubliners, seem steeped in the sense that, one by one, we are all becoming shades. Occasionally, such emblematic qualities are worn a little too much on the sleeve: does "Body Art", which deals with a lapsed Catholic, really need lead characters named Becket and Whimple? But Byatt's skill lies in her ability to capture in one story both the fantastical and the entirely human." - Nicola Smyth, Independent on Sunday

    So let me tell you this is a good book and I recomend it to you if you're into the genres I mentioned above.










  • 5 comments:

    1. Anonymous4/18/2011

      Haven't read that one, but I have heard about it. I think I'll try it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Anonymous4/18/2011

      Yeah I love Byatt's works, she's always great

      ReplyDelete
    3. I read it a year ago, and really enjoyed it. Knowing your style of writing, I think I know why you liked that particular story.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Ashly Kent4/18/2011

      It's not really horror, is it? I thought it had something dark about it but not that much. :(

      ReplyDelete
    5. Anonymous4/18/2011

      Do you know any other books like that? Pls

      ReplyDelete